Orange – pumpkin, rust, saffron, marigold, paprika, melon, peach, copper, spice, gold, flame, citrus, poppy, curry, mandarin, tangerine. Orange brings energy to a room. It can be dramatic in a deep rich shade or soothing in a pale peach or apricot. It works well with all colors ( just get the shade right, for example, a pale blue or a navy blue, a soft lavender paired with a deep orange is calming, orange paired with green brings a tropical feel to a space, bright orange with crisp white and chocolate brown keeps a space modern and fresh). Below are a collection of my favorite oranges:
The above image is Fredric Fekkai and his wife Shirin Von Wulffen’s 5th avenue apartment. I love the eclectic mix and the deep orange velvet in the living room is stunning.
Tory Burch’s orange library in her New York City apartment is amazing. Pulling in deep blues, chocolate brown alligator (the cocktail table), leopard print ( on stools), and tortoise shell decorative painting ( on the molding around the doors) makes this room work.
The above bedroom by Sarah Story is all neutrals aside from the vibrant orange bird wallpaper. When you have a wallpaper like this…who needs anything else! The side tables, lamps, and headboard keep the room from going vintage.
I love this room with it’s hot orange de Gournay wallpaper, bright coral silk drapes, and blue and white ikat chair seats. The rug, table, chairs, and wallpaper are quite traditional but the colors make it modern.
This room by James Lumden for the Greystone Estate show house is wonderful. The melon colored walls bring a warm glow to this bedroom while the moses rug from the Rug Company and the soft brown tufted mattress ground the room.
Another fabulously energizing room by my close friend ( and former colleague at Kemble!) Christina Murphy. The orange sofa pops dramatically off all of the chocolate brown and white. Love it!
The slightly more subdued cantaloupe orange walls work well off the grasscloth insets and dark wood.
Both images above are of the same room designed by Honey Collins. Again we see how nicely orange pops against dark wood and canvas. I love the orange piped trunk, throw pillows, and pops of orange in the rug and wing chair fabric.
The above room by David Netto is all cool blues, greys, and crisp whites. The orange throw gives the room some zip. If you are nervous about bathing your room in orange this is a good way to test the waters.
Kelly Wearstler added a pop of orange leather in her pink and black room. Unexpected and chic.
The iconic Hermes wool blanket gives this room a jolt.
Below are some orange accessories to bring your home to life:
1. Dempsey & Carroll pumpkin stationary
2. Glazed orange lamp with gold base through Tonic Home
3. Orange faux shagreen pencils
4. Orange cashmere throw through Tonic Home
5. Orange Luce silk ikat throw by Madeline Weinrib
6. Hermes wool blanket through Hermes
7. Orange and gold giraffe print coasters
8. Leontine Linens Alcott pattern
9. Orange wool rug through Madeline Weinrib
10. Wedgewood Dynasty China
11. Hermes ashtray through Hermes
Drool worthy orange fabrics:
1. F. Schumacher Bleeker in Spark by Celerie 174043
2. F. Schumacher Arches Print in Orange by Trina Turk 174272
3. F. Schumacher Nurata Embroidery in Coral 174180
4. F Schumacher Weave in Spice 62541
5. Lisa Fine Baroda II in Cury
6. F. Schumacher Imperial Trellis II by Kelly Wearstler in Ivory/ Mandarin 174410
7. Katie Ridder Peony in Poppy
8. F. Schumacher Bagan in Spark 62652
9. Vanderhurd embroidered Stellar in Sunrise
Fabulous orange wallcoverings:
1. F. Schumacher Rajasthan Paisley in Persimmon 5004471
2. Katie Ridder Pagoda in Persimon- I LOVE this. I am dying to do an entry hall or powder room in this paper.
3. Farrow and Ball The Ranelagh Papers – 1822
4. Farrow and Ball Strie wallcovering – DR 1285
5. Farrow and Ball Plain Stripe – ST 1147
6. Room by Kimberly Ayre and wallcovering ( on wall and inset) is grasscloth by Twenty2 style Montague
7. Manuel Canovas toile Tortuga in Safron
Orange paint selections:
1. Benjamin Moore Corlsbud Canyon #076
2. Rollinson Hues #20
3. Benjamin Moore Soft Marigold
4. Farrow and Ball Orangery
5. Sydney Harbour Paint Blood Orange