Blue- sapphire, azure, aqua, teal, turquoise, sky, ocean, blueberry, chinese blue, baby blue, Lanvin blue, cobalt, haze, royal blue, Mediterranean blue, slate, denim, navy, marine, sea foam, robins egg, Tiffany blue.
Blue is contemplative, meditative, and depending on the shade can be energizing (deep blues) or relaxing and light ( pale blues). It conjures thoughts of water and sky. I often paint ceilings in the palest blue to raise the height of the room. Whether you go with a textured grasscloth on your walls, several slick shiny coats of paint, or just blue accessories it is hard to go wrong with this color.
Cristina Cuomo’s house by Emma Pilkington features a study with pale blue walls ( and a fab etching by Cy Twombly)
This soft blue bedroom has a cool, feminine, eclectic feel.
A beautiful country house decorated by Miles Redd stays true to form with blue on blue stripe wallpaper in the hallway. Hallways are important spaces through out a home and a great chance to try a wallpaper.
High gloss slate blue walls in a room decorated by Steven Gambrel look like water. This is the perfect backdrop for all the dark wood furniture and brass fixtures.
Cadet blue walls look warm and inviting with saffron yellow drapes, a pickled/ bleached floor, and tortoise shell moldings. Delicious!
Deep Dark Blues:
This room, recently featured in House Beautiful, is grounded by the deep blue grasscloth on the walls. I love the texture and color.
This blue is amazing! It seems to glow. Anytime blue and red are together they make they other color feel richer. Room by Christopher Maya.
In a room by Ashley Whittaker we have a deep blue wall and bookshelves paired with pale orange and a rusty red. I love blue in a library. It is totally enveloping.
This small galley kitchen is handsome in lacquered navy.
Another blue library featured in the recent Elle Decor ( Patricia Lansing’s) is fabulous. The navy lacquered walls seem to recede and make the room bigger ( dark colors do this!) while the white sofa and blue and white zebra linen upholstered chair pop out at you. I love this room!
1. Farrow and Ball Chinese Blue
2. Benjamin Moore Paddington Blue
3. Sherwin Williams Verditer Blue
4. Dunn Edwards After The Storm
5. Benjamin Moore Patriot Blue
6. Pratt and Lambert Blueberry Myrtille
All colors shown in House beautiful
1. Phillip Jeffries Juicy Jute in Tantalizing Teal
2. Neisha Crossland through Stark Berry Flower in Marrakesh Blue
3. Farrow and Ball Ringwold Paper BP1650
4. Manuel Canovas through Cowtan and Tout trellis
1. Gracieux through John Rosselli Serrano in Cobalt on Oph
2. Chapas Textiles Safari in Sapphire Ochre
3. Robert Kime Palmette Blue- embroidery
4. Lisa Fine through John Rosselli Rambagh reverse in indigo
5. Celerie for F. Schumacher Bleeker in Twilight 23969260
6. Celerie for F. Schumacher 711897
7. Osborne and Little Papini F5851-04
8. Chapas Textiles Vienna in Deep teal
9. Edelman Leather Shagreen City Lights in Blue Streak
1. William Sonoma Home bed linens with classic greek key embroidery in blue
2. Holland and Sherry custom embroidered pillow Java EMB 717
3. Blue and white ceramic lamp by Bunny Williams through Mecox Gardens
4. Peacock Rug by Matthew Williamson through The Rug Company
5. Small agate napkin rings through Vivre.com
6. Daphne Blue Hollywood Regency chair through Madeline Weinrib
7. Fez indigo dhurrie through Vanderhurd
8. Matignon arm chair through TK Collections
9. Clinton Sofa in navy velvet through Jayson Home and Garden