Purple- eggplant, aubergine, plum, lavender, lilac, violet, mauve, lilac, mulberry, orchid, grape, amethyst, twilight. Purple represents royalty, creativity, romance, power, nobility, luxury, ambition, and sophistication. Dark purples lend a warm, sexy, quiet feeling to a room while light purples add a touch of romanticism. I love pairing deep aubergines with crisp apple greens, oranges, and silver or brass. While light purple leads me to blue and white china, grays, yellows, and mirrored furniture.
This room is so warm and feminine with soft lavender/ mauve walls, silk drapes, and french chairs.
A living room by Kelly Wearstler showcases a lavender geometric print rug with a deeper purple sofa and yellow and gold accents.
A room designer by Windsor Smith pairs up both light and dark purple with chocolate brown, crisp white, and pale teal.
Katie Ridder punches up the lilac walls with green, ivory, and bright orange.
David Kaihoi wraps his dining room/ living room entirely in purple. The red chair and tiger print throw pillows mix it up a bit.
Amanda Nisbet takes the plunge into purple with a deeply tufted headboard set against a deep aubergine wall with hints of pink and chocolate brown.
Aerin Lauder’s dining room as featured in Elle Decor. I love the deep dark plum walls and trim with the soft grayish plum zebra print table skirt. The pale wood chairs work beautifully in the room.
Touches of purple:
Keeping the rest of the room neutral lets the focus fall on the table skirt of Janet De Botton’s library.
A tufted chair by Jeffrey Bilhuber upholstered in Malabar’s Carom
Two chairs upholstered in Madeline Weinrib’s purple luce silk ikat bring this living room to life.
1. Benjamin Moore Grape Hyacinth
2. Pratt and Lambert Autumn Crocus
3. Benjamin Moore Galaxy- deep dark purple
4. Benjamin Moore Caponata
5. Farrow and Ball Brinjal- I have used this many times and it is beautiful…especially in a high gloss finish
1. Osborne and Little Bedlam W5557/01
2. Osborne and Little Maharani W6022-01
3. Katie Ridder Attendants in purple
4. Fromental hand painted and embroidered chinoiserie in lavender
1. Katie Ridder Moonflower in purple
2. Peter Dunham Pasha- KT03
3. Amanda Nisbet Fabric on linen Francesca in grape fizz
4. Osborne and Little Papini F5851-03
5. Carolina Irving Andaluz in Viola
6. Martyn Lawrence-Bullard Sultan’s Suzani on linen in lavender
7. Edelman Leather Royal Suede in dusty rose
8. Scalamandre Rio 26676-007
Using the painting breakfast by Pierre Bonnard as a jumping off point I selected the above accessories.
1. Pierre bed linens by Julia B.
2. Pierre Bonnard Breakfast circe 1930’s
3. Purple samarkand area rug by Doris Leslie Blaue through 1st dibs
4. Tub chair by Peter Dunham Hollywood at Home
5. Vanderhurd rug pattern dew drops in amethyst
6. Set of 4 shagreen coasters in faux shagreen color amethyst through Sara Gilbane Interiors
7. Silk ikat throw pillow in purple luce through madeline weinrib
8. Pair of antique suzani throw pillows through 1st dibs